From the Summit of Lone Peak – Definitely Was a Lightning Rod Up There


Hello Speakers & Performers,

When I began my career as a showman I was white bread – chloroform – attentive to the need of every audience demanding to be completely entertained by my G-Rated family-friendly show no matter the pain I suffered or the challenge it entailed.

I thrived on being able to appease everyone.

Somewhere along the line my perfectionism began taking hits on a consistent basis.

If it wasn’t the old lady telling me I was too fat to be a Ricky Martin impersonator, or the guy who told me I’d never be successful singing the songs of other people, then it was the insulting letters – handwritten – I would receive following every television appearance, encouraging my accidental and immediate death.

Eventually Vegas came calling, and then that went away.

That kind of thing weighs on a guy who’s trying to make everyone happy. 

And although I’m not some oft-quoted, foul mouthed, over the top character or performer who is famous the world over, I have come a long way from the guy who tried to convince everyone I was good because I cared so much about what they thought of me.

Fast forward to a viral post a few years back about my love for my wife – this blew the door down on my realization that, my goodness, I am a lightning rod for seriously demented opinions, fiery darts to be hurled at, and have never been so insulted or entertained by comments in my life.

To say it doesn’t still sting would be a lie.  I write a lot of words, posts, and get trampled under every kind of bus driven by a shadowy figure lurking in their dark sullen corner of the internet’s “friend of a friend” comment string.

And yet I trudge along.  Why?  Because at some point you need to come to it, as an Artist, Speaker, Performer, Writer, Entrepreneur, whatever you may be, that what you say must take a stance, a position, and that will make you someone worth attacking.

Are you willing to stand for what you believe?  Are you willing to say it how it is from your perspective?  Are you ready for the onslaught?

Because when you are, and if you can make people hate you to the point of death threats, and equally love you to the level of sharing your materials with their friends and buying it for the mom for Christmas, well then you’ve made it to a new space, one few ever comprehend.

If you believe in what you’re doing, if your performance is for the mission you have inside you, please Dear Speaker & Performer, don’t ever stop becoming the lightning rod!


~ jason


Jason Hewlett, CSP (Certified Speaking Professional), CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame, is a Keynote Speaker for the largest corporate events in the world. His primary message, The Promise, is essential for Leadership, Management, Sales, Marketing, Direct-Sales Companies, and is a combination of engagement and entertainment meets inspiration. Jason has even received standing ovations from IT guys. He has been acknowledged as life-changing by Conference Attendees, C-Level Executives and Hollywood Elite.


Please click here to learn about how Jason Hewlett, Speaker Hall of Fame, introduces the opportunity for you, or someone you love, to have the gift of learning how to create a Career From the Stage and begin moving toward fulfilling a lifelong dream as a full-time speaker, performer, or entertainer.


  1. I shared this immediately with a dear friend whose stage style generally appeals to 90% with the remaining 10% eagerly telling him that he comes across as mostly arrogant and definitely narcissistic – tough feedback…. and 10% is not 3 %. Great insight and counsel – as always

    Thankyou Jason

    • Jason Hewlett

      Wow thank you my brother. Wonderful to hear from you. Thought of you today as I passed The Radisson in SLC, where the old NSA meetings were held that I first attended with your introduction. Great memories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *