Throughout November we are going to delve into how to make your career on stage happen, because on Wednesday, November 15, I will be presenting the course in it’s condensed entirety to the NSA Mountain West Chapter in SLC, UT if you would like to join us click HERE.
We offer a full course online that gives much more detail than I will here, however, here’s a taste of what you can get with the course and summary of some of the essential points. Answer these questions for yourself to determine what needs improvement.
Last week we discussed –
This week’s lesson –
Module 2: Message
A. 7 Layer Deep Message DIP – What are the principles you want to express and teach to the world? Wherein lies your expertise on your topic? How deep can you go?
The following graphics are taken directly from our online course workbook. First you’ll see an example of my message (at the time it was “Signature Moves”, now it is “The Promise”, so you will notice I’m actually constantly doing the DIP myself), as well as every layer I feel it can be classified as, going deeper and deeper to core beliefs. Next you will have the opportunity to fill yours in. The top of the pyramid is your message to the world, the bottom is your foundation of belief.
B. Ideas for Message: Test and Workshop It – Do you know what you want to talk about? Often we have an idea, so go test it out, perform anywhere, get a gig. If it goes well, dig in deeper. If it doesn’t go well, perhaps you need to change things?
- Desperation is the catalyst for most message creation, whether it is loss of job and need to create a speaking career, or your show has worn thin on your client base and you need a new one. Desperation is Forced Creation at it’s finest. We should constantly be testing out new material, while perfecting the tried and true. When was the last time you tried out an entirely new message?
- Association is the only way to get a gig, either through friends and clients, or networking your LinkedIn database, if no one knows about you there will be no chance to share the message. This is why Association is Network Generation. How strong is your Network?
C. 3 Questions Your Message Should Answer –
- Why should I listen to this message?
- What can I do with this message?
- How will I change after hearing this message?
D. Killer 15 Minute Act: The Secret of Success – When I began my career with “Legends in Concert”, owner Johnny Stuart, told me if I wanted to find success in show business and have a long career, “You must have a killer 15 minute act”!
Line by line, minute by minute, itemize your 15 minutes that kills.
Now, go back in and craft it like a dance with the audience, a give and take, like waves of the ocean. Remember the best bands always play 3 rock songs and then 1 ballad to give you a chance to breathe. How do you do this within your presentation?
Join us next week for Module 3: Audience
Jason Hewlett, CSP (Certified Speaking Professional), CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame, is a Keynote Speaker for the largest corporate events in the world. His primary message, The Promise, is essential for Leadership, Management, Sales, Marketing, Direct-Sales Companies, and is a combination of engagement and entertainment meets inspiration. Jason has even received standing ovations from IT guys. He has been acknowledged as life-changing by Conference Attendees, C-Level Executives and Hollywood Elite. jasonhewlett.com
Please click here to learn about how Jason Hewlett, Speaker Hall of Fame, introduces the opportunity for you, or someone you love, to have the gift of learning how to create a Career From the Stage and begin moving toward fulfilling a lifelong dream as a full-time speaker, performer, or entertainer.